Wednesday, April 29, 2009

The SIMS


I find this game to be slightly creepy. First of all, the player creates these characters, gives them families, personalities, jobs and if you can figure out the code, unlimited funds. The player then begins to control every aspect of the SIMS lives which, I believe will give those playing it a bad case of a G-d complex.
However, through this game, the player has the opportunity to "Queer" the traditional static family. For example, when I was going through my stint at playing this game, I created a family called the Machines. That's Mac-hines. He was in the army and she was a movie star. In the course of the history of this family, Laura Machine became friends with the lady next door, let's call her Becca. Friendship quickly led to love and Mr. Machine got in on the scheme, then he fell in love with Becca and proposed. Then the three of them were living together and they had a baby.
This game allows players to create any world they want. Most of the time it is centered on Soap Opera like drama and occasionally it is unintentionally "Queer".

1 comment:

  1. Interesting... which of the two women had the baby? Or maybe this is a 'true' perfect world and the guy was the one who had it, while the girls pampered him to no end :)

    I can see the psychological benefits to having the capabilities of creating a world. It is just like writing, but your character have color--and not just in an abstract way.

    Hm, I think I like it.

    ReplyDelete